Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Painted Plums Postcard

Painted Plums Postcard


I love Photoshop. (which helped me place the type on this card) And I think Vista Print is pretty good, too. I had run out of promo postcards and decided I should order some. It took me a while to decide which image I wanted to use and how to do the type on the front of the card over the painting. The last one I did was an apple on a blue plate. The plums seemed obvious since it is the image and name for my blog. Vista Print sends out emails offering deals on various promotional products. I honestly don't know how they come up with such good prices, but this artist is happy about that. The back of the card has my contact information, so mailed or hand delivered, this card has everything someone will need to find me. The cards will arrive in 10 to 14 days...so now I am anxious to see them and start passing them around.

The picture at the top of the blog is more the real colors of the actual painting. That one was done with my camera. The picture for the postcard came from scanning the painting. I did that to get the 300dpi that Vista Print needed to reproduce the art. For some reason the scan came out bluer, even with adjustments in Photoshop. But I think it will work for the postcard. It just goes to show you how difficult it is to reproduce colors. So many variables come into play. Each time I go to reproduce a piece of art in any medium, I find it takes a lot of tweaking and time. Anyway, this is what I sent them. We'll see what comes back to me. Last time they did a terrific job.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Thank you so much for this post!
I have been struggling to get true colours! I have tried using Windows Live, Picasa, Picnik and Roxio Photo Suite.. and your post re Photoshop has made me realise, it might just be one of those impossible tasks!

Even though bluer than the original, it is still a beautiful postcard and I hope it brings you much success :)

Cheryl Pass said...

Pat....Thanks for your comment. I think artists are so very sensitive to colors and the subtle variations that it is harder for us to compromise anything when it comes to reproductions. I find it tortuous. But I remind myself that in certain circumstances I need to not be quite sooooo critical, lest I drive myself completely bonkers. If this were an art reproduction print for sale, I would be having kinniptions to make sure the color was smack on the money. Since it isn't, I decided to just go with it and not give myself ulcers.

Watercolors are hard to reproduce...as I looked at your blog. In their case, it is the intensity issue. The transparent qualities tend to make them come across much lighter than the originals. The camera or scanner picks up the light underneath the colors and washes them out. Tough to overcome that. Good luck with your work!