Saturday, February 06, 2010

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod

"Wynken, Blynken, and Nod"
6.5X9
Mixed Media


Private Collection

Click on image to enlarge the view.

I did this piece some time ago for my first grand-daughter. (We were so excited at the time and I was waxing romantic with thoughts of childrens' poems to share with a new child!) This was also just as I was finishing up a more commercial part of my career, so I was thinking about printing possibilities and other applications. Last year my daughter-in-law took this art to some South Korean who turned it into a three dimensional 'paper cut' framed wall piece for the third child's nursery. I don't know the name of the technique, but they do this in S. Korea. It's not exactly origami, but they use colored paper and glue cut pieces onto a backing to create a picture.

I'm showing you this retro piece because I have once again been stymied by my back problem (sciatic nerve pain) and have had to lay low. I've had a third steroid shot today and hoping this will help.

I also had an unusual experience the other day I had not encountered before now. The "Cows by the Lake" piece was nearly finished and I decided to take it over to a frame store to see if I could find anything suitable for it. And behold....the painting would fit into none of the standard 24X36 frames. I tried one after another and they were all off on one side of the rabbet by a half inch. Hmmmmm....says I. What is this? Turns out the stretched canvas on its stretcher bars is ....what is the word...whopperjawed! (Skewed) Unfortunately I didn't notice this when I bought the canvas and merrily went on painting without discovering the flaw. After looking into custom frames with filets to try to offset the problem, and finding that none of that was going to work, I came home deciding that the only option is to have some professional re-stretch the canvas onto straight bars...someday. It isn't going to happen now. No idea how expensive that is to have done. I've set it aside and it will wait for some other day if I ever decide to do it. It's a set back for the moment since I have a show coming up and thought of entering that one. Now I am scrambling to come up with another idea for the show and have three weeks to do it. So due to the back, the frame, and of course we always have my elderly Dad's needs thrown in for good measure....I have been up to my ears in other stuff..

Will come up with a new one soon...Thanks!!

4 comments:

Janelle said...

STILL love it! :-)

AJ said...

Cheryl, if you think that the painting is dry enough to ship, you can send it to me and I'll re-stretch it for you (no charge).

Alternately, you can sometimes twist it back into shape with the help of a little water- I'll email you with details -AJ

Cheryl Pass said...

Thanks, AJ...the re-stretch is definitely the answer. We'll see when I can get that done...otherwise my kids will find it in the attic when I'm gone and ask, "What the heck are we going to do with this thing?"

Janelle....Thanks. When you find it in the attic...get it re-stretched!
LOL

Carl said...

Hi,
This is the first time that I have visited your site. I enjoyed it very much. I will look forward to seeing your work in the future.
Regards,
Carl