Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Daily Painting Floral, Irises In Progress

"Irises," In Progress
10X13
Oil on Gessoed Board

Click the picture to enlarge!

I'm trying something different with this one. I usually draw out the preliminary sketch with a colored pencil. (Most artists are using charcoal, I'm told. I haven't been doing that because I didn't want the black messy charcoal mixing with my paints.) But this time I then went over my sketch in alizarin chrimsom mixed with yellow ochre and a lot of turps. Picked this idea up from another artist whose work I admire and thought I would give it a try. It keeps the sketch in place as you continue to work. We'll see how this goes. Seems like a great idea right now!!

My irises are in full bloom today. They were given to me by dear friend and they reside in the front garden. A couple of years ago I thought I had lost them due to some bug that was eating away at the tubers. Somehow they survived and have come back to make me proud.

No comments: