Thursday, June 21, 2007

Daily Painting Still Life, Baby Watermelon

"Baby Watermelon"
8X10
Oil on Gessoed Board
Available


It's definitely summer! This is one of those cute little watermelons, and a patient one at that. I bought it before the Florida trip and it has kindly waited around without rotting for me to capture it in paint. My Dad, "the ancient one," wanted to eat it, but I told him he couldn't yet, not until I finished my painting. Now it's his.

It sits on an ironstone dish which used to be my Mom's and one of the things we brought back from Florida. I have a thing about ironstone, I'm sure because of my mother's collection of antiques and the lessons as I was growing up about appreciating them. Ironstone. You can dress it up or dress it down. It goes with everything. Food looks great on it. It's classic and substantial, doesn't have to be babied like the fine bone china and delicate glassware, so I am glad to have it.

Off to go wash my brushes out. Hope you like this one!

1 comment:

sandy said...

This is gorgeous.