Thursday, July 24, 2008

'Gilded Cage'

"Gilded Cage"
9X12
Oil on Raymar Linen Panel
Available

Click on picture to enlarge the view.

Contact to Purchase

As you walk the paths at Stowe Botanical Gardens you will come across a Victorian birdcage the likes of which you have never seen......or, at least like I have never seen. I could never cage a bird. In fact, if I could fly I would be gliding over the tree tops right now. But the irony is that I think bird cages are pretty...no doubt because I've never been cooped up in one. This one is amazing. It is the biggest one I've ever seen and it is a new version of a Victorian style. If you look closely at my painting you will see a red and yellow parrot that was sitting on a perch in the middle section. As I painted this I was wondering how the birds in it are managing the unbearable heat we've been having this entire month. I'm hoping they took the birds to an air conditioned location and left the birdcage empty for the summer months.

One of the challenges of painting this was indicating the screens. I hope I accomplished that. I worked on this painting off and on all week due to the other obligations of taking "the ancient one" to Dr.'s appts. and making meals for him as well as our household. I feel like I should apologize for the drop off in my posts the past few months, but it just can't be helped since I have taken on some family duties I didn't have prior to this. What is that movie quote? "I'm dancing as fast as I can."

1 comment:

Connie said...

Hi Cheryl, have replied to your email (actually 3 times) but I keep getting a notice that my message is undeliverable.

I love this recent painting. I think you did an awesome job on the screens....looks hard to me!

Connie