Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Daily Painting Landscape, "Clovis Cattle"

"Clovis Cattle"
5X7
Oil on Linen Panel
$120.00
Contact Me



It has taken three days to recover and re-enter after driving back across the country. Running in torrents of rain, fog, and generally bad weather, and going 75 miles per hour, the trip was a blur of grey and brown. It is winter, after all, so finding subjects for painting was not an easy matter. We discovered, while visiting my son and his family, that in the back of the neighborhood is a vast pasture with hundreds of cattle grazing. Each evening they came to the fence by a walking trail. Those of you who know me know that I haven't spent much of my life around cattle. Especially not up close and personal. I have renewed appreciation for every bite of beef I have ever enjoyed and the farmers who work to bring us these animals. Those creatures endured the ice and snow and howling winds, just lumbering around in that pasture and looking at us as if to say, "Who are you and what are you doing here?" They were really huge and looked as though they could just take a leap over the fence and go after us if they had a mind to.

Last night was the first time I managed to get back to the easel. So glad to be home.

No comments: