Friday, February 29, 2008

Daily Painting, "Morning Visitor" In Progress


"Morning Visitor"
12X9
Oil on Raymar Linen Panel
In Progress

Click on picture to enlarge

More progress last evening, but I still have some fine tuning to do and the right side is not finished. One thing I am concerned about here is whether the entire picture is too busy. However, this is the woods and animals tend to be in the camouflage mode. Plus, if I am seeking some sense of realism here, the scene actually looks like this with all of the twigs and leafy background. I thought about making this painting more of a sketch by just painting the woodpecker and tree in detail and then scrubbing the rest out to a faint blur. The main thing is that I don't want this to be a scientific illustration, but rather capture the awesome surprise I feel when I am so privileged to have such a beautiful creature grace my yard, share our space, and give us such a visual joy. I am hoping to finish him up today.

No comments: