Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Daily Painting Calligraphy, "Placecards for Flo"

"Placecards for Flo"
Panache Pen with black ink

One of the other things I do....calligraphy.

There is a grand lady who is greatly loved by her family and friends and she is turning 85 this week. She was born to a poor family in Iowa, was raised just out of the depression years, married a guy who was a Medical Illustrator for the University of Iowa, had two children, and worked most all of her life in the fashion industry. One of her children died when he was 13. Her husband died a few years ago and she has come here to live with her daughter who happens to be my best friend in town.

On top of all of the other things mentioned above, she is beautiful, gracious, generous, and lovely. In fact, as I was thinking of her while doing the calligraphy today, I realized she is one of those very rare people who simply does not have a bad quality. I can't think of one. How many of us will be thought of that way when we are 85?

Now why is there a cow among the placecards?? Well, the menu is varied. The cow ( is just a prototype not finished yet, and there will 13 of these) will be joined by some chickens and some fish. I am handpainting these little cards to sit by each person's plate so the wait-staff will know where to put the correct meal. I am hoping this little piece of art by the plates will help create a festive atmosphere and also, it's one little gift I can give to our birthday celebrity to make her party special. This tiny little project is taking a couple of days...between this and Bosley, it will be a few days before I can get back to an oil painting. Stay tuned!

No comments: