Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Great Beginnings, "Bosley's Nap"

"Bosley's Nap" Preliminary Drawing
11X14
Oil on Canvas Panel
Click on picture to Enlarge

My favorite subject, Bosley.
This one will eventually end up on http://thepainteddog.blogspot.com, but while I am working on it I thought it would be fun to show how I start the process. There will be precious little left of my preliminary drawings because most of them were done under the actual painting. Occasionally I will do one on some other surface just to gauge the scale and composition, but usually I just dive right into the painting surface. I am using a watercolor pencil and it can be wiped off as I make corrections. I know other painters use charcoal, but this works better for me.

When working with animals, I have to work from photos. I am not so quick that I can capture an animal that moves around about about every other second even when sleeping.

What did I ever do without this camera! (yes, that is a rhetorical question.) I have a Canon Power Shot S3. It will do more than I will ever learn how to do, but I cannot believe what a tool this has been for me to use while documenting my work. At this point I could do a commercial for Canon, I am so in love with it!!

No comments: