Monday, August 06, 2007

Daily Painting Portrait Study, "Ella at Three Years"

"Ella at Three Years" Preliminary Pencil Study
8X6


Just the beginning. I really want to do this portrait for Ella to have for the rest of her life...and for her parents to enjoy for the rest of their lives, so the pressure is on. I don't have much experience of painting portraits of people. As you know I have been doing portraits of dogs .... and an occasional cat. The intimidation factor is huge. I have been looking at John Singer Sargent, William Merritt Chase, and Robert Henri. Well, there you are. Who can do that well? But I am going to give it a good college try and we'll see if I can live up. So today I got started with a sketch and I am hoping it helps me really see her and translate her features into paint with the skill of a master. I don't aim too high, do I??? Well, if I fail at the painting, at least they will have this sketch. It was very wonderful too spend time today just studying her....lost in the wonder of creation. It's definitely one of the benefits of my career to be able to lose myself in something for a time and forget the rest of everything.

2 comments:

sandy said...

Cheryl, the sketch is adorable, can't wait to see the finished product. This looks great. I love your art!

sandy

Cheryl Pass said...

Thanks, Sandy! I hope I can actually accomplish it in paint.